With the end of 2017 quickly approaching, we want to take a moment to thank all our wonderful clients for their support. Since 1895, we have provided landscaping services and supplies to the Lancaster area. We could not be in business this long without the patronage from so many of you!
As this year winds down, we just want to thank each and every one of you for choosing Root’s Nurseries, whether as a new or returning customer. We hope you will trust us with all your future landscaping needs!
We wish each of you a merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year!
We can help you implement a winter plan! Has your landscape fallen through the cracks with everything else you have to worry about this holiday season? The expert landscapers at Root’s Nurseries are here to help, As a professional landscaper serving Strasburg and the surrounding areas, we would like to offer up a few tips and services that can help protect your lawn and landscaping throughout the cold winter months.
The pruning of trees on your property should be done at this time of year or at some point during the cooler months. Our landscaper can provide you with the right pruning to help your trees thrive now through spring and back into summer. Pruning takes the skilled hands and knowledgeable training of a professional landscaper that knows how to encourage plant life to best adapt to our local Pennsylvania climate. As a local landscaper, we know how to do so!
We can even provide pruning that looks great too! We can help you create a garden maze or dramatic outlines with hedges that will look impressive all year long.
Deadheading of perennials is a necessary task for your landscaping. A trimming of the dead, old growth needs to occur so that fresh, new growth for the upcoming spring months can occur. If you do not wish to handle this on your own, call or visit our landscaper to let us know.
Make sure you’ve planted some shrubs or trees that don’t go dormant in the winter. After all, you’ll want something to look at! Your Root’s landscaper can help you choose distinctive evergreens as well as perennials with large seedpods that bring interest when covered in snow.
Your lawn is in something of a state of hibernation during the winter months. So, it is important to remember that if you place anything with some weight on it on the property during several months of freeze and thaw, you will encounter a flattened grass presentation. This will set your lawn up to have its grass grow horizontally, or, even, not grow at all in the spring time, possibly killing the patch outright.
The expert staff at Root’s Nurseries can enhance your outdoor living area with plantings for four season enjoyment. Are you looking for a professional landscaper in Strasburg? Call Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041, or you can contact us for a Free Estimate.
As you prepare your Mt Joy landscaping for fall, the Root’s Nurseries team wants to help you maintain and protect the trees and shrubbery in your landscaping design. After all, you have invested a great deal of time into creating a landscaping design that shows off your location to its full potential. Because we know our region is well known for its harsh winter, fall preparation is a must.
However, your landscaping does not have to be a victim of Pennsylvania weather. There is an assortment of steps you can take to keep your landscaping safe so that it is beautiful when next spring comes around.
Better yet, these are precautions anyone can do – minimal knowledge and effort required!
Preparing Your Landscaping for Cold Weather Ahead
In order to avoid leaving your trees and shrubbery vulnerable to the weather ahead, spend a weekend preparing your landscaping by making time to be proactive. While there are many approaches to preparing your trees and shrubbery for the colder weather, these methods employ natural products and materials, so you don’t have to be concerned about causing additional damage to the environment or animals.
- Aerate – Consider renting an air spade to break up the soil around the base of the trees and shrubbery to prevent it from becoming compacted and stifling the roots. When the roots are stifled, the plants become more susceptible to disease and insects, plus they are weakened and water and nutrients cannot travel through the plant as easily.
- Don’t Fertilize! – If you use fertilizer, then be sure that your last use of it is done 6 weeks before the first frost.
- Water – Thoroughly water shrubbery and trees throughout the fall; ideally, the water needs to penetrate between 12 and 18 inches deep so that roots have plenty of moisture.
- Mulch – Make time this fall to protect the roots by adding a 4 to 6-inch layer of mulch at the base of the plants. This will prevent damage next spring when the soil begins to expand and contract during the thawing process.
- Burlap – For plants and trees that are near the road and at risk of salt run-off related damage, wrap the base of the plants in burlap to form a barrier.
- Rodent Protection – During the colder weather, rodents and other small animals will cause damage to trees or shrubbery. To protect your plants from being gnawed on or becoming a hiding spot, wrap the base with a ¼ inch mesh hardware cloth.
As you spend time protecting your Mt Joy landscaping, don’t forget to reach out to the team at Root’s Nurseries! We would love to help answer your questions and concerns regarding any products and tools you may be using. Give us a call at 717-898-0041 or Contact Us today.
Cooler weather is right around the corner and the end of summer is a great time to take care of lawn problems or ward off problems that could arise in the future. Leaves will soon be turning and falling to the ground. Aeration and fertilization is one place to start. You do not want to leave your lawn in a bad way heading into the cold, rather you want to set it up for ample and healthy growth for next spring.
As a landscape company in Ephrata, we know all the right steps to take to get your lawn ready. Here at Root’s Nurseries we care about local landscaping and would like to provide a few tips that will help you enhance the growth of your lawn and gardening through the end of summer and into fall.
- Start preparing for your raking routine. Have you been considering a compost pile? Now is the time to get one started! With the leaves ready to drop, you’ll soon have plenty to compost. Compost is amongst the greatest of all natural fertilizers in existence and you can easily add your landscaping waste into this.
- Start making plans for planting in fall. It will soon be prime time for planting and establishing new shrubs and trees as well as looking ahead with spring flowering bulbs. Start shopping now for the best selection. The experts at our landscape company, Root’s Nurseries, can help you choose the perfect plants for your unique landscape and our unique climate. And remember, don’t plant too early or you bulbs may sprout early, only to be killed off by the first winter freeze.
- Keep the ground tidy around trees that bear fruit. Fallen fruit can eventually rot and invite disease.
- Enjoy and celebrate a final mowing of the year! This particular mow will allow for you to drop those blades and cut a bit shorter that you otherwise would.
- Acquire some high-phosphorous fertilizer mix and apply generously to your lawn. Utilizing this sort of fertilizer will encourage the growth of roots that will allow for green turf emerging much earlier in the Spring than otherwise it would.
- Enlist the help of a professional landscape company if you feel you need help preparing your lawn for winter. Once your fall lawn and landscaping maintenance is complete, rest easy feeling satisfied over a job well done. The spring will yield a much healthier lawn and landscaping as a result.
Thinking about hiring a landscape company for your Ephrata home or business? Start today by calling Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041 or Request a Free Estimate.
Sometimes you wonder, how can I keep my home or business property looking as impressive as possible? Gardening season especially can seem overwhelming. But, did you know that in addition to hiring a professional landscaping company, there are actually flowers, trees and shrubs that can do some of the work for you? At Root’s Nurseries, we are well versed in all of the plants and trees that thrive best in the area and are here to offer some tips to keep your Lancaster landscaping looking its best.
For obvious reasons, evergreen trees are a staple of any Lancaster landscaping as they look beautiful in every season. If you don’t already have evergreen trees at your home or business, Root’s Landscaping can plant some for you and even choose the best locations for optimal shade and growth.
There are many trees and shrubs that produce berries well into fall and winter. Shrubs such as these have the ability to add a pop of color to your landscaping that is both appealing to the eye and long lasting.
Both perennial flowers and annual flowers have distinct advantages and disadvantages. Perennial flowers do cost more, but they are usually lower maintenance if they are planted in the correct spots. Perennial flowers will bloom for four to six weeks usually, and once they have been in the ground for at least four years, you can divide them to make even more plantings. Once they are planted, you usually don’t have to worry about them too much and will almost seem as though your landscaping is taking care of itself.
Have you thought about having a planter installed? Professional landscaping companies such as ours can add literal life to your lawn or business property, giving the impression that you put in much time and effort. Our landscaping company can provide regular service to any such installations helping to maintain that look.
Landscaping companies save you time. It will no longer be you out there sweating and getting sun burnt every week on hot summer days! You no longer have to have employees of your own to manage the upkeep of your lawn. Allow us to choose the evergreen, shade trees, flowering trees and shrubs that will flourish best and give your landscaping that awe-inspiring look.
Are you looking into professional landscaping for your Lancaster home or business? Start today by calling Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041 or Request a Free Estimate.