When you go outside, there is a piece of the natural landscape you will almost always see, no matter where you go: trees! We here at Root’s Nurseries are wild about shade trees in Millersville, so we thought we would share a few of our favorite facts about these majestic plants.
- If you properly place shade trees around your home, you can save as much as 30% on your cooling bills during the spring and summer.
- Planting just one tree can produce about 260 pounds of oxygen every year.
- Approximately one-third of the entire United States is covered by forest. (That’s a lot of shade trees right there!)
- If you want to see the tallest tree in the United States, you will have to take a trip to California’s Redwood National Park. The tree is 369 feet tall and is more than 2,000 years old.
- If you want your shade trees to last for awhile, proper care is important. That means keeping them watered, mulched and pest-free.
- A professional tree care provider is called an arborist.
- Trees can help lower the air temperature! They help evaporate water in their leaves.
- Trees, especially big ones like shade trees, can help cut down on noise pollution too.
- The science of calculating a tree’s age by its rings is called Dendrochronology.
- The roots of trees can help stabilize soil and cut down on erosion, plus they provide shelter for wildlife.
- The longest living organisms on the planet, the inside of a tree is made up of xylem, phloem, cambium and cork. The xylem is what carries water from the roots out to the leaves.
For more information on shade trees in Millersville, call Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041 or contact us.