Just because it is winter, that does not mean you should neglect your garden and landscaping! As a garden center serving Lititz and the surrounding areas, we know firsthand that maintaining your garden during the cold months makes it easier to maintain during the warm months. Here are a few of our favorite tips.
- After Christmas is over, don’t just toss out your Christmas tree! Take it outside and leave it for the birds. Anchor the tree in a bucket of damp sand. Then string your tree with cranberries and popcorn. You can also spread peanut butter on pinecones and then dip them in bird seed and hang them up on the tree. This is a great way to attract some lovely birds to your yard and give them some extra shelter and nourishment.
- If you compost, make sure that the refuse is not infested with insects or other pests. If it is, throw it out and do not add it to your compost pile.
- If you have plant containers that are made of ceramic, clay or cast stone, bring them indoors or make sure they don’t have any soil in them. If soil is left in the containers, the soil could freeze and expand and damage or break the containers.
- Make sure you keep up with mulching. If you are unsure of what type of mulch you should use, visit our garden center to learn more. You can mulch your perennial plants after the ground is frozen.
- If you have any plants that are growing underneath the evergreens on your property, make sure they are watered. You might forget about this chore if we get a lot of snow and precipitation this winter, so be sure not to neglect these plants.
- After we get snow or ice, do not walk on your yard. This could cause your grass blades to break and cause dieback that will show when the weather warms up. Try to keep your pets off of the grass too, if possible.
- Make sure you water your newly planted evergreens if the ground is not frozen.
We hope these gardening tips help keep your plants and landscaping looking great during the winter months! And if you have any questions, just visit our garden center.
Are you interested in learning more about winter gardening? Visit our garden center serving Lititz and the surrounding areas. Or call Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041 or you can contact us and get a Free Estimate.